The Government has had months since the start of the pandemic to tackle the digital divide in children’s learning, yet still too many pupils in East Hull and the wider city are still unable to access online education.
To address this digital divide, Labour is calling on the Government to urgently:
- Provide access to a device for every child who needs one
- Provide internet access for every child who needs it, through rapidly expanding Get Help with Technology programme
- Work to remove data charges by “zero-rating” educational websites and where possible ensure school digital delivery is exempted from mobile and other data packages, to stop mobile data charges from pricing disadvantaged families out of education
- Redeploy officials to help identify and meet technical support needs
- Work with schools and pupils to deliver a guarantee of minimum contact time with teachers
Demand they take action – sign the petition now 👇